Tom Brady might have no trouble beating colts or a tiger, but he’ll have to be ready to bring his A-game when it comes to insults.
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning will join the highly anticipated rematch between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson on Sunday, May 24 at Medalist Golf Club in Florida. Brady and Mickelson will play against Manning and Woods in Capital One’s The Match: Champions for Charity, with all proceeds going toward COVID-19 relief efforts. The match is 3 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on TNT, TBS, truTV and HLN.
And while the match might be for charity, the trash-talking is definitely amping up the stakes.
Brady started the friendly feud when he tweeted this picture back in April — insinuating, of course, that’d he’d have no trouble winning.
So in a 22-minute video call Thursday, the four got together with Ernie Johnson to do a little promotion for their match, and, of course, to trade barbs.
Here are the best zingers from the call, ranked in terms of how devastating they are.
11. “I’ll be honest: I’ve never played Tom very well on his home turf, so maybe this is considered a neutral site.” — Peyton Manning
Kind of a self-own, so this doesn’t rank as high. But it’s important to be able to dish it out and take it.
10. “I’ve been studying a lot of film and filming a lot of Peyton’s rounds the last couple weeks.” — Tom Brady
Another self-own. And well-deserved.
9. “It’s like Phil’s Chargers: There’s always gonna be a team worse than you.” — Peyton Manning
Double burn on Mickelson and the Chargers.
8. “I think Phil chose the right partner in Tom; together they have 11 championships. Tiger and I have 17 they way I count it.” — Peyton Manning
Of course Brady has more championships than Manning, but Manning knows how to stack the math in his favor here.
7. “Hopefully, after Phil and I win they don’t try to change the rules on us or send the tapes into the NFL — I don’t know if Peyton can still do that now that he’s retired — and try to change some of the rules to make it a little easier the next time.” — Tom Brady
A deep cut from Brady, referencing an incident from 2004 when the NFL made rule changes on downfield contact after the Colts, Manning’s team, complained that their wide receivers were roughed up by Brady’s Patriots in the AFC Championship Game. This one just feels a bit petty, but not a bad reference regardless.
6. “I just got out of an ice bath, and I’m a little bit chilly.” — Tiger Woods (wrapping his green jacket around him)
TIger, of course, is the reigning Masters champion. The line felt a little forced but, hey, when you’re the champ, you gotta remind people.
5. “I actually thought I was going to be Tiger’s partner, but then Peyton’s dad called and switched the teams.” — Tom Brady
Nice smooth jab from Brady. Of course, this is about Manning’s father Archie, who back in 2004 told the Chargers that his other son Eli preferred not to be drafted by them and wanted to play for the Giants instead.
4. “The tournament had to be in Florida after Tom’s B&E arrest. With the ankle monitor, he couldn’t leave the state. So it had to be in Florida. Tiger and I talked to the sheriff in Tampa, and he’s going to be allowed to go to Palm Beach to play.” — Peyton Manning
This one is great from Manning, who came out swinging. Brady was never actually arrested, of course, but it’s a great crack at his little mishap.
3. “I would have loved to have had this tournament in a place where they don’t like Tom very much. Indianapolis, Denver, Boston after he just betrayed them and broke their hearts. So Palm Beach is the best we can probably do.” — Peyton Manning
An absolute hammer from Manning. Bringing up Boston while the wound is still fresh? Reminding Brady how many other places hate him? Incredible.
2. “That’s actually what the trophy looks like had you have won.” — Phil Mickelson
Oof. OOF. Great stuff from Mickelson here. Simple, direct, to the point: I won, you lost, and here’s the proof.
1. Just this shot of Phil Mickelson’s room.
Sometimes you win without saying a word.